I had to up my game on some vegan recipes as there haven't been many vegan posts lately, so I mixed this up in my kitchen. These have no bull**** ingredients and they are very satisfying: creamy, chocolatey, fragrant. It's still not the healthiest thing to eat, obviously, but a great alternative to regular store-bought flapjacks or bars.
No need to bake, just mix everything up, pop in the fridge for an hour or two and you're good to go.
Yup, I like healthy & fast.
Makes 6 squares | 1 cup - 250 ml | Prep time: 5 mins | Fridge time: 1-2 hours
- 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon of ground rolled oats (use a coffee grinder to grind or substitute with quick oats)
- 1/2 cup of toasted coconut chips
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted & unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of almond or any kind of nut milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- a generous pinch of salt
for the chocolate topping:
- 1 tablespoon of pure cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
Melt coconut oil, toast coconut chips if using raw. Mix everything (except topping ingredients) in a bowl until evenly incorporated. You will have a very sticky dough. Line a small baking tray or any square shaped dish with parchment paper, add the mixture and press it down firmly to form a 10 x 15 cm rectangle. Place in the fridge and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Remove from fridge, cut into squares and drizzle with chocolate topping. To make the topping, simply mix maple syrup, cocoa powder and melted coconut oil. Serve these vegan bars with fresh berries.
These bars should be kept in the fridge. Wrap each square with baking paper for a quick grab-and-go sweet snack.